Sunday, July 21, 2013

Trying Something New - The Sunday Scoop

Hello my lovelies!!! First and foremost - this is not a post about ice cream. I know the scoop part makes me think of that so I wanted to clear that up for anyone else who is now craving an ice cream cone.

So, I always say "Oh so sorry it's been so long since my last post!" or "This time I'm getting on a schedule with my blogs." But this time, I really do mean it. Mostly. Well at least I'm trying anyway. I want to challenge myself to do a once a week post called The Sunday Scoop. This will mostly be beauty and skin care related, but I am going to sprinkle in a little fashion, food, and random life events posts. I know, I'm skeptical too, but hey maybe I can prove both of us wrong and really stick with it this time.

So my post today is going to be all about bronzers and highlighters. It's summer and although I am paler than death, I do try to bronze it up a bit, and I have gotten myself into a fun routine that I really like. So below are the products I am using, including the (affordable and awesome) brushes I use - you'll see they're dirty so you know I'm using them, ha! And of course links and info on where to find them all.



The first product I want to talk about is TheBalm's Bahama Mama bronzer. I have several products from TheBalm and I freakin love them. Such amazing quality and all of them are highly pigmented and reasonably priced. You can order it on TheBalm's website for $20 or you can order it from Amazon for about $15 (which is where I got it from).


I know it looks scary, but if I can make this work for me, trust me you can use it too. The key is in the application. Use a smaller brush, it doesn't have to be specifically for contouring, but something smaller is better. And use a light handed, less is more approach. This is a great bronzer for contouring because it's matte. You could use it all over your face on a more medium to tan skin tone, but for me it's a great contour shade.



I use the contour brush from Real Techniques. It is the perfect tapered shape to fit the hollows of your cheeks, the sides of your nose and hairline. I usually tap the brush in the bronzer and then tap off any excess product from the brush.




The next bronzer I use is the Sonia Kashuk's Undetectable Creme Bronzer in Warm Tan. Apparently this is a dupe for a Chanel cream bronzer that costs around $50. I don't have the Chanel one so I can't compare. BUT this is only $10.99 at Target and it's AMAZING. I use it as an all over bronzer and it really is un-detectable. I use a duo fiber brush from Sigma to apply it. And it makes me look like I just went on vacation - I love it!



My fave highlighting powder is Mary Loumanizer from TheBalm. Can we just pause for a moment and acknowledge how awesome the people of TheBalm must be. Their products are awesome, the names and packaging are fantastic. I just seriously love this brand. And you haven't tried a highlighter until you've tried this one. I use it above my brow bone, on my cheek bones, and down my nose. You only need a small amount and a little advice: if it is humid and 100 degrees out, less is more. You don't want to look sweaty.



To apply my highlighter I use this setting brush from Real Techniques. It is the right shape and size to slap that highlighter in place. Again less is more, this is an extremely pigmented product. I recommend tapping off excess before applying to your face. You can always come back and add in more, but you don't want to look like a show girl. Unless that's the look you're going for, in which case, go ahead girl!


Swatched left to right: Sonia Kashuk Undetectable Creme Bronzer, Bahama Mama, Mary Loumanizer.

Have you tried any of these products? What are your faves?

No comments:

Post a Comment