Monday, May 12, 2014

Time to Recharge the Batteries


Life is crazy. Everyday we are pulled in a million different directions. We get up, get ready for the day, head to work, take the kids to school, clean the house, prepare meals, take the dogs to the park, help the kids with homework, etc. There are millions of tasks to take care of and get wrapped up in each and every day. And while in the moment those things seem important, and some of them are, it's easy to get lost in the day to day hustle and bustle of life. 

In keeping with the healthy theme of this month, I wanted to spend sometime today to talk about taking a time-out and recharging your batteries. I know you don't have time, I know you need to reply to that email and call your sitter back. Trust me, I know. But at some point you need to stop and smell the roses a little bit. 

I truly believe that taking a "mental health day" is necessary for survival. Life can be tough and crazy and if you don't take a time out for yourself, no one else will take it for you. You are an amazing person who does a million and five things for everyone else, but what have you done for you lately? 

If you can take a whole day to yourself, I highly recommend it. I just took a week off of work to relax and recharge. It rained all week and was cold. It was perfect. The crap weather forced me to sleep in, read books and take care of myself. I was also able to get some projects done around the house that have been bugging me for awhile. But at the end of the week I experienced something I forgot about. Calm. I was calm. I was no longer frazzled about everything. I finally had the time I needed to unwind. Calm. 

I realize that not everyone can take a week off and "do nothing". So try to find some time each day or each week that's just for you. It could be 15 minutes, it could be a couple of hours. It's hard, but I try to find some time each week to recharge my batteries. Sometimes it's in the car on the way home from work, I crank the radio and belt out my fave songs as loud as I can, or while I make dinner I crank up iTunes and have a dance party (which is extremely amusing to those who happen to be in the house at the time). Or even now as I sit and write this, it's quiet in the house, the dogs are snoring, I have some green tea steeping beside me and I am writing.  

My point is you have to relax and calm down. You can't hurry up through each day waiting for the weekend or next weekend or summer vacation. Enjoy today. Enjoy right now and relax. Find your happy place. It's amazing what you can accomplish and get through once you have recharged.



No comments:

Post a Comment