Monday, March 24, 2014

Houston, we have...chickens...wait, what?



Today I thought it would be fun to do a life post, rather than the usual beauty or fashion post. Some of you may be shocked to learn that I have chickens. Real, live, farm animal, adorable (debatable) chickens.

Is she crazy? Are we talking about the same Melissa? Maybe, and yes. Last year, my lovely boyfriend brought me home a "surprise". Which turned out to be 6 baby chicks. Yes they are cute, but as you can imagine I wasn't super thrilled about that, at least not at first. Where are we going to put them? What do they eat? Aren't they mean? And most importantly, WTF kind of surprise is this S&%#?

But nearly a year later I actually really like them. They's entertaining, they eat bugs (I can't even begin to explain the mindblowing expereince of watching a chicken swallow a june-bug whole. Yes whole.) and they lay farm fresh, organic, free range, eggs. I know what they eat, where they got it from, and I know that we take very good care of them. Their coop has several heat lamps, a radio and a regular light. The coop gets cleaned out regularly and they always have tons of food and fresh water. They free range on our property; we live on 10 acres in the boonies so there's a lot for them to check out and we don't inject them with anything so they aren't getting weird hormones, etc.

Unfortunately what started as 6 chickens has naturally selected it's way down to 3. But because I am possibly crazy and because I love my boyfriend I bought him 12 more for his birthday. What can I say, I like eggs. Sadly, one of our baby chicks didn't make it through the first night and we are down to 11 (total of 14 with the original 3). I am curious to see how they do with the other chickens we have and watch them grow.


In the above picture the water is dirty because it just rained and I hadn't cleaned it out yet. Just thought I should point that out.





No comments:

Post a Comment