Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sunday Bonus: Books I Love


So I've been sick the last week and a half. I had/still have the winter cold from hell. It's gross and disgusting and I think I am finally getting over it. BUT during that time, I had a lot of time to rest (which is good, obviously.) and read. I love to read. I have always loved to read, since I was little. And so I thought it would be fun to pull together a list of some of my faves along with what I am currently reading right now.

If I had to pick one favorite book of all time, it would be Matilda by Roald Dahl, tied with To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I first read Matilda in the fourth grade and have loved it since. Pictured above is my original copy of Matilda. It's followed me through four states and has lost the cover but is otherwise intact. About 10-15 years ago they made a movie based on the book, and it sucked. I didn't like the actors and the whole thing was just crap. But maybe it's because that book is so special to me and since I've had it playing out in my head since the 4th grade, it's pretty hard to mess with the visions of the characters I have created.

Anyhoo, if you haven't read it, do it. Read it with your kids, read it yourself, whatever, just read it. I was reminded about how much I love this book from my friend Celeste who is/did read this just recently with her daughter. Celeste also has an awesomely fabulous blog, you should check it out. http://leapfrogandlipgloss.com/

To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic, we read it for the first time in 9th grade and I have read it a thousand times since. Incidentally, they made a movie out of this, and it's fantastic.

I am also a huge fan of Being Emily. It's a newer book, and I just so happen to know the award-winning, best-selling author. And she, like the book, is awesome. This book will open your eyes in ways you never thought possible, and blow your mind to the moon and back. It was a quick read but I've re-read it several times and each time I find something new. Amazing.

The Harry Potter series is another classic. I jumped on the HP train a little late (the sixth book was being released before I picked up the first one), and these are phenomenal. I laughed, I cried, I yelled, I ignored my friends and family to finish reading a couple of them. They're great, and if you haven't read them, you are clearly a lame muggle and need to pick them up and get going. You won't be disappointed.

Several other books I love include:

The Round House, Louise Erdrich
The Forgotten Garden, Kate Morton
The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls
What the Dead Know, Laura Lippman

And what am I reading right now? Insurgent, Veronica Roth. It's like the Hunger Games, it's another dystopian trilogy, and I'm not in love with it, but I will finish the series. The first book was by far the best.


2 comments:

  1. Ah! Thanks for the mention! :). Was Matilda a terrible movie? Ah, bummer. I promised the girls we'd take some time to watch it after my other daughter finished the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like the movie, but you guys might. It's not terrible, I just wasn't a fan. Let me know what you think when you do watch it :-) I'm sure your girls will love it!

    ReplyDelete